Tenant Questions & Answers

As a HUD contract for a property comes up for renewal, the Owner has the option to renew the contract or not (opt-out). HUD requires Owners to notify the residents of the property 1-year in advance of the contract expiration date if they are even thinking of opting-out. In very rare cases do an Owner actually opt-out. Most will renew their Section 8 contract with HUD and you will not be effected in any way.

In the event that Owner does choose to not renew their HUD contract, as a tenant your assistance will be protected.

Please be sure to do the following:

  • Continue to Pay your rent in full and on time; and


  • Continue to comply with all recertification processes and requirements; and
  • Continue to comply with all property rules and policies.

Failure to do these can forfeit your ability to receive further assistance from HUD.

Residents of the property will be contacted by the Local Housing Authority and will receive a Housing Choice Voucher, which will continue their assistance in HUD programs. With a Housing Choice Voucher, you may be able to continue living on the property or you can move to any other property where the Owner accepts the Voucher.

The owners of your property may request a contract rent increase from HUD on an annual basis to ensure that they are receiving the fair market rent for the units. They are required by HUD to notify the residents of this proposed increase. Unless you are paying the full market rent for your unit, this will not affect you. As a resident receiving Section 8 assistance, you will still only pay 30% of your adjusted annual income for your monthly rent.

For information on other housing assistance programs, such as the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program and project-based Section 8 buildings, please contact your local housing authority or a project-based property owner/manager.

In addition to HUD programs, the State of California has other housing assistance programs. Contact the California Housing Finance Agency or the California Department of Housing and Community Development for more information.

Your apartment manager will notify you by mail on an annual basis to report to the office and report all income, assets and expenses for all your family members. Once your household annual income is determined, your rent will be calculated based on 30% of your monthly adjusted income or 10% of your monthly gross income. Please click on the link below to read more about it on the HUD website. You can learn more about why it’s important to report.
HUD How Your Rent is Calculated

• Talk to the on-site or property manager
• Contact the Management Company/Owner
• If those steps do not resolve the problem and you live in one of the properties administered by L.A. LOMOD, please call LOMOD’s Resident Hotline at 877-240-4904 or email your concern to rcandehs@hacla.org

If you are aware of any health and safety issues at your HUD-subsidized project, first contact your apartment manager or agent. If the health and safety issue is not corrected, please call L.A. LOMOD at 877-240-4904, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. pacific time.
L.A. LOMOD will respond to messages within:
• one hour of receipt for life threatening health and safety issues; and
• two business days of receipt for non-life threatening health and safety issues.

Click this link to go to HUD’s listing of assisted buildings in California. You can search by location, type of community, and unite size.
HUD Affordable Apartment Search