Effective December 1, 2017, vouchers that do not contain an active Dun & Bradstreet’s (DB) Data Numbering System (DUNS number) will generate a Tenant Rental Assistance Certification System (TRACS) fatal error and will not receive payment until corrected.

To view the memo, visit HUD’s web site at https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=DUNS_TRACS_MEMO.PDF.

Owner/agents must have an active DUNS Number and the property/agent record must be certified in the System for Award Management (SAM).

There is no registration fee for DUNS or SAMS for any organization that is a recipient of federal financial assistance from the US government.  There are businesses that will assist in registration for a fee, but you are not required to make payment to any DUNS or SAMS representatives for purposes of contracts, grants, or cooperative agreements.

Go to the SAMS web site to check your status at https://www.sam.gov/portal/SAM/#1.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the SAMS system, you can find additional information on HUD’s web site at https://www.hudexchange.info/resources/documents/DUNS-Number-and-SAM-Instructions.pdf.

For technical support questions regarding a DUNS number, contact the SAM Federal Service Desk at 1-866-606-8220.  For other questions regarding this memorandum, contact Danielle Garcia at Danielle.D.Garcia@hud.gov.



Following the 2017 requirement for all Owners to have a DUNS number, we would like to remind everyone to keep that number active.

If an Owner’s DUNS number expires, HUD could hold the Assistance Payment.

Approximately one month prior to the expiration date, you should receive an email from LO-MOD alerting you of this. If you would like to get the expiration date, please contact your Voucher Processor and they can obtain that for you.