REAC Inspections to resume in June 2021
HUD announced on April 23, 2021 that in-person REAC inspections will resume beginning on June 1, 2021.
Secretary Fudge issued a letter to Public Housing Authorities, Multifamily Owners and Property Managers discussing this and the protocols that are in place to ensure safety and minimize the risk of COVID-19 transmission between residents, inspectors and property staff.
HUD, in collaboration with the CDC, will implement additional protocols and associated safety measures, including:
- The inspection of high priority/risk properties for both the Public Housing and Multifamily portfolios before other properties;
- Evaluation of known property-specific health conditions prior to the inspection;
- Regular COVID-19 testing of inspectors and efforts to facilitate the vaccination of inspectors;
- Travel and quarantine guidelines for inspectors;
- Detailed operational protocols for inspectors pre-inspection, during the inspection, and post-inspection reviewed by the CDC;
- Ability for residents to opt-out of unit inspections when inspectors arrive on-site.
Additionally, under the CARES Act, PHAs and Multifamily POAs may purchase and make available to residents PPE, which HUD strongly encourages prior to an inspection.